To learn about mercury in detail, click here
- Galileo was the first person to observe Mercury through a telescope
- Mercury was named after the Roman deity “Mercury”. Mercury was a messenger for the gods.
- Mercury is the smallest planet in the Solar System and is 4.5 billion years old
- It is 4800 km wide. That is 1/3rd the size of Earth and 1.4 times bigger than our Moon
- Mercury is the second hottest planet in the Solar System after Venus.
- Temperature is 430 degrees celsius during the day and -180 degrees Celsus at night.
- A day on Mercury is 58 days long and a year is 88 days long.
- Mercury has no Moons
- Mercury’s appearance is similar to the Moon. It is full of impact craters similar to the Moon
- The moon has a molten iron core. It also has a very weak magnetic field